The Amherst men's swimming and diving team opened 2019 with a narrow, 123-114, victory over Williams College on Saturday afternoon, maintaining their unbowed 2018-19 campaign.
The Mammoths continue rolling, moving to 4-0 on the season while the Ephs lose their second dual-meet of the season. Amherst returns to action on January 19th when they host the Connecticut College Camels, beginning at 4:00 PM. The Ephs are set to take on the Connecticut College in their next matchup as well, traveling to New London, Conn. on January 12th.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- In the first event, Craig Smith '20, Sean Mebust '20, Jack Koravos '20 and Scott Romeyn '22 led the way in the 400 yard medley relay, taking first place with a time of 3:22.69.
- Austin Lee '22 (10:06.22) and Kou Li '21 (1:43.45) both snagged third place in the 1000 yard freestyle and the 200 yard freestyle respectively.
- Romeyn (20.99) and Koravos (21.21) took the top-two spots in the 50 yard freestyle for the Mammoths second victory of the day.
- The Purple & White swept the top-three spots in the diving events. Tom Amsbry '22 took first in both, finishing with a score of 295.35 in the one meter diving while marking 309.00 in the three meter diving.
- In the 100 yard freestyle, Romeyn placed third with a time of 46.81 while Li took fourth (47.08).
- Smith recorded his first individual victory of the day, taking the win in the 200 yard backstroke (1:51.97)
- After Eric Wong's '20 third place finish in the 500 yard freestyle, Mebust (2:05.03), Josh Chen '19 (2:10.59) and Gary Sun '22 (2:10.65) took the top-spots in the 200 yard breaststroke.
- Tristan So '21, Koravos, Li and Wong notched first in the 400 yard freestyle relay with a time of 3:05.05.