MIDDLEBURY, Vt. – The Amherst men's swimming and diving team placed first in all 16 events on Saturday afternoon when they defeated Middlebury College by a final score of 224-73.
With the win, Amherst continues their unvanquished season and improve to 3-0 on the year while Middlebury College moves to 0-3.
The Mammoths return to action after the break when they travel to Williamstown, Mass. to take on rivals William College on January 5th, beginning at 4:00 PM.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Amherst opened the meet with Craig Smith '20, Sean Mebust '20, Jack Koravos '20 and Scott Romeyn '22 tackling the 200 yard medley relay, securing first with a time of 1:33.72.
- The first-year duo of Austin Lee '22 and Peter Baird '22 led the pack in the 1,000 yard freestyle with Lee marking the winning score of 9:58.17.
- The Mammoths notched the top four spots in the 200 yard freestyle with Eric Wong '20 (1:44.35) and Brandon Wang '20 (1:47.49) took first and second.
- Amherst swept the top-three spots in the 100 yard backstroke when Smith marked his first individual win on the day with a time of 51.70. Smith backed up that performance in the 20th event (200 yard backstroke), winning with a time of 1:52.25.
- Mebust and Chen recorded first and second place in the 100 yard breaststroke with times of 57.71 and 59.05 respectively.
- In the 12th event (200 yard butterfly), Koravos marked the win (1:58.24) with Gary Sun '22 (1:58.83) following close behind.
- Romeyn took the win in the 50 yard freestyle, recording a time of 21.20 seconds while also finishing first in the 100 yard freestyle (47.18).
- The Purple & White walked away sweeping the top-three spots in both diving events. Bennett Fagan led the team in both with a score of 267.53 in the one-meter, and a 260.48 in the three-meter.
- The Mammoths swept the top spots in the 200 yard breaststroke as well, with Sun (2:09.54), Josh Chen '19 (2:13.02) and Chris Quinones '19 (2:13.21) leading the way.
- Wong continued the success for the Mammoths with a first place finish in the 500 yard freestyle (4:48.95).
- Koravos finalized his successful day with a win in the 100 yard butterfly, marking a time of 51.37 seconds.
- Adi Arifovic '12 rounded out the individual performances with a first place finish in the 200 yard IM.
- In the last event of the day (400 yard freestyle relay), the Mammoths took the win with a time of 3:09.73 through the efforts of Tristan So '21, Bobby Meyer '21, Koravos and Mebust.