BRUNSWICK, Maine – Elijah Spiro '18 successfully defended his title to repeat as the 50 yard breaststroke individual champion and lead a lights out performance by the Mammoths that saw four swimmers land inside the top-six in the event, as the Amherst College men's swimming & diving team sit in third place following NESCAC Championship day one action at LeRoy Greason Pool on the campus of Bowdoin College.
DAY ONE RUNDOWN
- TOP-THREE: Tufts (622), Williams (594), Amherst (541.5)
- EVENTS: 200 free relay, 50 breaststroke, 50 fly, 500 free, 50 back, 200 IM, 50 free, 400 medley relay, 1-meter diving
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Mammoths opened NESCAC competition with a sixth place finish in the 200 yard freestyle relay, with Jack Koravos '20, Sean Mebust '20, Tristan So '2 and Eric Wong '20 teaming up to clock a time of 1:23.43 and put 48 points on the board.
- Amherst dominated the 50 yard breaststroke, placing four swimmers inside the top-six. Repeating as the NESCAC individual champion, Spiro touched the wall in a pool record time of 25.07 to place first overall, while Mebust notched a 25.73 mark to take the bronze. Also impressing, Josh Chen '19 added a fourth place finish (25.80), while Chris Quinones '19 earned sixth overall (26.03).
- John Janezich '18 paced the Mammoths in the 50 yard butterfly, recording a time of 22.89 seconds to place 10th in the event.
- In the 500 yard freestyle, Eric Wong '20 took first in the consolation final with a 4:34.90 mark to place ninth overall, while Nathan Ives '18 took 14th (4:39.23).
- Craig Smith '20 led Amherst in the 50 yard backstroke, logging a time of 23.26 to place fourth, while Sam Spurrell '18 and Jack Fergus '20 finished fifth and sixth, respectively, with marks of 23.47 seconds and 23.57 seconds.
- With a time of 20.85 seconds, Koravos placed sixth overall in the 50 yard freestyle.
- Bennett Fagan '20 earned a top-three finish on the 1-meter board, tallying 461.35 points to take the bronze.
- Amherst closed out day one with third and sixth place finishes in the 400 yard medley relay, with the quartet of Smith, Mebust, Spurrell and Charlie Seltzer '19 finishing third with a time of 3:18.63 and the combination of Ang Li '21, Chen, Janezich and Ives clocking a 3:23.61 mark to place sixth.