AMHERST, Mass. – In an impressive performance, the Mammoths broke two pool records as the No. 11 Amherst College men's swimming and diving team swam past Springfield, 172-110 Sunday afternoon at Pratt Pool on Senior Day.
With the victory, Amherst improves to 7-1 in dual meet competition. Amherst returns to the pool on Friday-Sunday, Feb. 23-25 when they travel to Bowdoin for the NESCAC Championships.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The quartet of Sam Spurrell '18, Elijah Spiro'18, John Janezich '18 and Nathan Ives '18 started the meet strong for the Mammoths, claiming first in the 400 yard medley relay in 3:27.56.
- Brandon Wang '20 paced the competition in the 400 yard IM with a 4:14.24 mark, while Sean Mebust '20 took gold in the 200 yard free (1:46.36).
- Two Mammoths broke the previous pool record of 24.59 seconds in the 50 yard backstroke that was set in 2003, with Craig Smith '20 clocking a 24.21 mark to earn first overall and Spurrell touching the wall in 24.24 seconds to place second.
- Spiro swam to a 25.96 mark in the 50 yard breaststroke to add nine points to the board, while Janezich took the top-spot in the 100 yard fly (52.37).
- With a time of 21.47 seconds, Jack Koravos placed first overall in the 50 yard free, before Bennett Fagan tallied 255.15 points on the 3-meter board to finish second.
- Eric Wong led the pack in the 100 yard free with a time of 47.35, while Smith earned a victory in the 100 yard backstroke with a 52.86 second mark.
- Spiro added another Mammoth victory and new pool record in the 100 yard breaststroke, touching the wall in 56.81 to break his own pool record of 56.94 that he set earlier this winter.
- In the 500 yard free, Kou Li '21 clocked a 4:47.18 mark to clinch gold.