CAMBRIDGE, Mass. – Craig Smith '20 earned two individual event wins for the Mammoths, however the solid performance was not enough as the No. 11 Amherst College men's swimming & diving team fell to No. 4 MIT, 213-86 Saturday afternoon at the Zesiger Pool.
With the setback, Amherst falls to 6-1 on the season in dual meet action. Amherst returns to the pool to take on Springfield tomorrow, Sunday, Feb. 4 at 1 p.m. The meet marks their final tune up before the NESCAC Championships and Senior Day.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Smith, Elijah Spiro '18, Sam Spurrell '18 and Jack Koravos '20 paced the Mammoths in the 200 yard medley relay, notching a second place finish with a 1:33.11 mark.
- In the 1000 yard free, Nathan Ives '18 secured a second place finish with a time of 10:02.40.
- The Mammoths swept the top-two spots in the 100 yard backstroke, with Smith claiming first overall (52.12 seconds) and Ang Li '21 finishing shortly behind to earn second (52.17 seconds).
- Spiro touched the wall in 57.79 seconds in the 100 yard breaststroke to place second and add four points to the board, while Josh Chen '19 took third with a time of 58.49 seconds.
- In the 200 yard butterfly, Spurrell posted a time of 1:54.52 to clinch second, while Smith added a victory in the 200 yard backstroke with a 1:52.45 mark.
- Bennett Fagan '21 earned two second place finishes in the diving events, totaling 261.30 points in the 3-meter and 301.80 points on the 1-meter board.
- Sean Mebust '20 swam to a second place finish in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:07.67, while Eric Wong '20 took the bronze in the 500 yard freestyle (4:47.20).
- The quartet of Koravos, Mebust, So and Wong finished off the meet with a third place finish in the 400 yard free relay with a time of 3:12.49.