AMHERST, Mass. – Craig Smith '20, Sean Mebust '20 and the 400 yard freestyle relay squad each set a new pool record to lead the Mammoths past their archrivals, as the No. 12 Amherst College men's swimming & diving team bested No. 18 Williams, 136-101 Saturday afternoon at Pratt Pool.
With the win, the Mammoths improve to 5-0 in dual meet action on the season. Amherst returns to the pool on Saturday, Jan. 20 when they travel to Connecticut College for a 1 p.m. meet.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Starting the meet off with a victory, the quartet of Smith, Elijah Spiro '18, Sam Spurrell '18 and Mebust clocked a 3:25.40 mark in the 400 yard medley relay, while Nathan Ives '18 added a third place finish in the 1000 yard freestyle with a time of 10:08.14.
- Kou Li '21 paced Amherst in the 200 yard free with a second place finish (1:43.00) before Jack Koravos '20 took gold in the 50 yard free behind a 21.10 mark.
- In the 200 yard IM, Josh Chen '19 clinched third overall with a time of 1:57.61, while Sam Spurrell took second in the 200 yard butterfly (1:54.96)
- Bennett Fagan '20 swept the 1-meter and 3-meter dive events for the Mammoths to tally 18 points with a NCAA B-cut mark of 282.90 and 271.65, respectively.
- In the 100 yard free, Tristian So '21 logged a time of 47.39 seconds to place first overall, while Smith added a victory in the 200 yard backstroke with a pool record mark of 1:52.19.
- Mebust broke the second Amherst pool record of the meet in the 200 yard breaststroke with a time of 2:04.92 before the Mammoths closed out the meet with a with a pool record swim in the 400 yard freestyle relay (3:07.01).