AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 16 Amherst College men's swimming & diving team remained perfect on the season in dual meet action as they downed NESCAC foe Middlebury, 165-102 Saturday afternoon at Pratt Pool.
The Mammoths return to the pool on Saturday, Dec. 30, when they travel to Union College for a 1 p.m. battle.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The quartet of Craig Smith '20, Elijah Spiro '18, Tristian So '21 and Jack Koravos '20 started the Mammoths off with a win, clocking a time of 1:33.63 in the 200 yard medley relay to place first overall, while Sam Spurrell '18, Chris Quinones '19, John Janezich '18 and Bobby Meyer '21 teamed up to earn a 1:36.10 mark and take second.
- Flanagan Waldherr '20 touched the wall in 10:15.48 in the 1000 yard free to take the top spot, while Nathan Ives '18 secured second behind a 10:16.02 mark.
- Amherst swept the 200 yard free, with Eric Wong '20 (1:44.65), Sean Mebust '20 (1:45.87) and Brandon Wang '20 (1:47.86) claiming the top-three spots, while Kou Li '21 added a victory in the 100 yard backstroke with a time of 52.00 seconds.
- Spiro clinched a pool record time of 56.94 seconds in the 100 yard breaststroke to lead the Mammoth sweep, while Josh Chen '19 and Justin Lee '19 clocked times of 58.03 and 59.99, respectively.
- With times of 1:58.36 and 2:02.23, respectively, Spurrell and Adi Arifovic '21 placed first and second in the 200 yard butterfly, while Koravos (21.32), So (21.54) and Matt Sanders '21 (22.27) swept the 50 yard free.
- Bennett Fagan '20 (260.93 points), Jake Meyer (196.50 points) and Bobby Shogren (181.20) swept the 3 meter diving event, before So took the top spot in the 100 yard free with a 47.74 mark.
- Smith added nine points to the board in the 200 yard backstroke with a time of 1:52.86, while Wang claimed third in the event with a 1:59.87 mark.
- In the 200 yard breaststroke, Mebust (2:09.33) and Quinones (2:11.49) led the way with first and second place finishes.