WATERVILLE, Maine – Sweeping the top-three spots in six of 16 events in their 2017-18 season opening meet, the Amherst College men's swimming & diving team powered past Colby College, 164-114 to start the winter on a high note.
The Mammoths return to action on Monday, Nov. 20 when they travel to Little III rival Wesleyan University for a 5 p.m. dual meet.
- Amherst swept their opening race of the day, taking the top-three spots in the 200-yard medley relay. The team of Kou Li '21, Elijah Spiro '18, John Janezich '18 and Jack Koravos '20 touched the wall in 1:35.25 to lead the pack, while Craig Smith '20, Josh Chen '19, Sam Spurrell '18 and Tristian So '21 claimed second with a 1:36.75 mark. Jack Fergus '20, Justin Lee '19, Brandon Wang '20 and Matt Sanders '21 finished off the sweep, clocking a 1:39.36 mark.
- Nathan Ives '18 and Adi Arifovic '21 finished back-to-back in the 1000 yard freestyle to place second and third behind times of 10:25.88 and 10:35.93, respectively.
- Capturing their second of six sweeps at the meet, Charles Seltzer '19, Sean Mebust '20 and Bobby Meyer '21 took the top-three spots in the 200 yard freestyle with times of 1:47.39, 1:48.05 and 1:48.55, respectively.
- Logging a 53.00 mark in the 100 yard backstroke, Smith secured first overall, while Li placed second overall behind a 53.87 mark.
- Chris Quinones '19, Lee and Chen all finished at least two seconds ahead of the fourth place finisher in the 100 yard breaststroke, with Quniones posting a meet-best time of 59.80. Lee clocked a 1:00.17 mark in the event, while Chen finished tenths of a second after (1:00.33).
- Spurrell, Eric Wong '20 and Wang earned the Mammoths 16 points in the 200 yard butterfly, with Spurrell touching the wall in 1:56.25 to take gold. Wong finished less then a second behind the senior, earning a 1:57.00 mark, while Wang clinched the all Amherst podium with a time of 2:02.92 to place third.
- Amherst dominated the 50 yard freestyle, with So (21.65), Koravos (21.69), Matt Sanders '21 (22.63) and Janezich (22.67) ending the race as the top-four finishers.
- Bennett Fagan '20 led the Mammoths in 3 meter diving, racking up 195.55 points to place second and won the 1 meter diving event with 259.05 points, while Bobby Shogren '19 and Jake Meyer '18 captured third and fourth in both evenths.
- The 100 yard freestyle featured So taking the top spot with a 47.43 mark, while Sanders followed closely behind to place second overall with a time of 49.10.
- Smith led all swimmers in the 200 yard backstroke with a finals time of 1:53.75, while Li captured third (1:57.46).
- Mebust (2:08.33), Lee (2:15.05) and Chen (20:20.19) swept the 200 yard breaststroke, while Wong added a third place finish in the 500 yard freestyle with a 4:47.68 mark.