HARTFORD, Conn. – The eighth-seeded Amherst College men's squash team swept by ninth-seeded Tufts University, 9-0 in Friday afternoon's NESCAC Championship First Round match at the George A. Kendall Squash Center on the campus of top-seeded Trinity College.
- Amherst won all nine positions Friday afternoon, highlighted by eight straight set sweeps. Noah Browne '16, Cameron Bahadori '18, David Merkel '19, Harith Khawaja, Michael Groot '17, Lucas Sheiner '19, Jeremy Van '17, and Thornton Ellis '16 all posted 3-0 victories.
- In the fifth slot, Darian Ehsani '17 fell 9-11 in the first set, but rallied for 11-5, 11-5, and 11-8 wins in the next three frames to claim a 3-1 triumph.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Amherst, ranked 22nd nationaly, has advanced to the quarterfinal round of the NESCAC tournament each season since the playoff system began during the 2006-07 season, but the Purple & White have not reached the semifinals since 2008-09.
- Amherst advances to quarterfinals and will take on top seed and host Trinity (15-0) at 9 a.m. Saturday. The Bantams are also currently ranked first in the nation.
- Tufts will take on 11th-seeded Conn. College in consolation action at 10 a.m., followed by a 12:15 p.m. consolation bracket meeting with 10th-seeded Hamilton College.