Posted: Jan 15, 2016
AMHERST, Mass. – The No. 22 Amherst College men's squash team claimed a 7-2 victory over NESCAC rival and No. 28 Hamilton College Friday afternoon at the Davenport Squash Courts.
- Amherst claimed eight matches, including five 3-0 sweeps, on courts No. 1,3,5,6,7,8, and 9 and also grabbed a win in the No. 10 spot.
- Noah Browne '16 defeated Tucker Hamlin at the top of the lineup in a 3-0 sweep. Browne won by scores of 11-2, 11-4, and 11-7.
- Courts No. 2 and 6 also featured sweeps with David Merkel '19 downing Josh Wolpert 11-8, 11-8, and 11-8, and Michael Groot '16defeating Jon Ruth 11-2, 11-2, and 11-1.
- After going up 1-0 with an 11-7 victory over Sam Matlick, Darian Ehsani '17 dropped the next game 7-11 before rattling off two more wins, 11-4 and 11-7, to take the match.
- First-year Lucas Sheiner earned a 3-0 victory in the No. 7 spot, defeating Scott Casher 11-4, 11-7, and 11-5.
- Jeremy Van '17 earned the Purple & White's final sweep of the day, claiming the match over Atticus Jones with scores of 11-8, 11-5, and 11-9 on court No. 8.
- Thornton Ellis '16 and Stephen Cacouris '16 both fell behind in their matches, 1-0, before rallying to claim 3-1 wins. Ellis won from the No. 9 spot over Sumair Khanna and Cacouris defeated Ward Irvin in the No. 10 position.
- Amherst takes on Navy and Colby at home as part of the Pioneer Valley Invitational, Saturday, Jan. 16 at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m., respectively.