January 26, 2007
ITHACA, NY – The Amherst College men's squash side snapped their three-match losing skid this afternoon when they upset #9 Cornell on the road. The Lord Jeffs refused to fall to a fourth straight Ivy League opponent this evening, and toppled Cornell 6-3.
Amherst's top player, senior Auloke Mathur (Mumbai, India) fell to 2-0 as a #1 seed, but would not go easily, as he forced Rohit Gupta, the nations 57th ranked player to extra points in the third game. The effort from the top Jeff player would inspire the game of his teammates, who would not accept a fourth consecutive loss.
Five of the six Lord Jeffs victories on the night would come by way of three games to none shutouts, while the sixth win was a 3-1 mark. In the #2 match, Amherst's Drew Blacker (Summit, NJ) easily handed Mike Gelinas of Cornell a loss, taking the match 9-1, 9-5, 9-6.
The win pushes Amherst within one game of .500 on the year, as they travel just a short distance before facing Hobart tomorrow afternoon. Hobart is currently sitting in the 24th spot of the latest CSA rankings, as Amherst will have a great shot to move to 5-5 on the season. Start time for tomorrow's match is set for 10 a.m.
Firday, January 26, 2007 – Amherst College @. Cornell University – Ithaca, NY
1) R. Gupta (C) def. A. Mathur (A) 3-0 (9-5, 9-3, 10-8)
2) D. Blacker (A) def. M. Gelinas (C) 3-0 (9-1, 9-5, 9-6)
3) M. Rapisarda (A) def. T. Hill (C) 3-0 (9-1, 9-1, 9-2)
4) S. Landesberg (A) def. A. McReynolds (C) 3-0 (9-5, 9-4, 9-0)
5) C. Vernick (C) def. P. Hatfield (A) 3-2 (5-9, 0-9, 9-7, 9-2, 9-6)
6) O. Mangalji (C) def.B. Bishop (A) 3-1 (5-9, 9-5, 9-5, 10-8)
7) G. Kazani (A) def. A. Wolff (C) 3-0 (9-5, 9-3. 9-0)
8) J. Giovinazza (A) def. I. Holton (C) 3-1 (9-4, 9-7, 5-9, 9-7)
9) C. McReady (A) def. S. Martinez (C) 3-0 (9-3, 9-0, 9-7)