December 1 , 2006
AMHERST, MA – The tenth-ranked Amherst College men's squash team fell to the 15th-ranked United States Naval Academy Midshipmen, 5-4, to fall to 1-1 on the young season. The Lord Jeffs' schedule does not lighten up, as Amherst will prepare for this Tuesday's match-up with top-ranked Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut.
The most exciting match of the night came in the number-seven slot, where Navy's Christopher Zipf (Gladwyne, PA) and Amherst's Andrew Slutsky (Providence, RI) battled back-and-forth for five games. Slutsky was able to take the first game, 9-4, but Zipf came right back with a win in the second game. Slutsky won the third game in convincing fashion, 9-1, but Zipf gained his composure and took the final two games to earn the victory.
Navy's Tucker George (West Hartford, CT) was too much for Amherst's Drew Blacker (Summit, NJ) to handle in the number-one slot, as Blacker fell 3-0 despite giving the 40th-ranked player in the country a run for his money.
Friday, December 1, 2006 – Amherst College vs. United States Naval Academy – Amherst, MA
1) Tucker George (N) def. Drew Blacker (9-5; 9-3; 10-8)
2) Auloke Mathur (A) def. Nils Mattsson (9-1; 9-3; 0-9; 9-5)
3) Alastair Smith (N) def. Stu Landesberg (3-9; 9-2; 9-2; 9-3)
4) Jeff Sawin (N) def. Peter Hatfield (9-1; 9-2; 9-1)
5) Ben Bishop (A) def. Michael Beautyman (4-9; 9-5; 10-8; 9-1)
6) Ben Mantica (N) def. Andrew Kriete (4-9; 9-7; 9-2; 9-5)
7) Christopher Zipf (N) def. Andrew Slutsky (2-9; 9-4; 1-9; 9-3; 9-7)
8) Gautam Kalani (A) def. Dan Hellier (9-2; 9-1; 9-1)
9) Jerome Giovinazzo (A) def. Brian Hamilton (9-1; 9-0; 9-0)