NCAA INTERACTIVE BRACKET
NCAA DIGITAL PROGRAM
AMHERST, Mass. – Advancing to the program's ninth consecutive Sweet 16, the No. 18 Amherst College men's soccer team is ready to travel to No. 2 Tufts University for 2018 NCAA Division III Championship sectional action this weekend at Bello Field in Medford, Mass.
The Mammoths and the Jumbos will hit the field on Saturday, Nov. 17 at 11 a.m. in the first third round matchup of the day, while No. 7 Montclair State is set to take on Ramapo at 1:30 p.m. with a spot in the Elite 8 on the line.
- Amherst advances to their ninth straight Sweet 16 after earning two wins at home to take their regional pod, downing Bridgewater State, 1-0 and previously undefeated No.8 Saint Joseph's, 4-2 to set up a meeting with fellow NESCAC foe Tufts. The Mammoths were previously edged by the Jumbos, 2-1 on Sept. 29 during the regular season.
- Earning a first round bye, Tufts used a score in the 80th minute to shut out No. 22 Stevens, 1-0 in second round action to secure Sectional hosting duties this weekend.
- The runner up in the NJAC, Ramapo punched their ticket to the third round of the national postseason after edging Springfield, 2-0 and No. 24 Connecticut College, 1-0 in regional action. This will be the Roadrunners third time facing conference rival MSU this season after falling to the Red Hawks 2-0 and 5-0 on Oct. 6 and Nov. 2, respectively.
- Montclair State, the 2018 NJAC Champions, claims a spot in the Sweet 16 after advancing past regional competition with two penalty kick victories after playing Colby and New York University to 1-1 double overtime draws.
- German Giammattei '22 and Fikayo Ajayi '19 headline an Amherst attack that possesses five double-digit point getters, with Giammattei and Ajayi each notching a team-high 17 points with seven goals and three assists and five goals and seven assists, respectively.
- Sebastian Derby (7G, 0A) and Luke Nguyen '19 (5G, 3A) are next on the Mammoths with 14 and 13 points, respectively, while Dane Lind '20 has dished out a team-leading 10 helpers to go along with one score to total 12 points on the year.
- Starting 15 contests for the Mammoths, Bernie White '22 (12-2-1) has made 66 stops while allowing just 12 goals to boast a 0.76 goals against average and a .846 save percentage in 1370:40 minutes.
- Joe Braun leads the Jumbos offense with a team-high eight goals and four assists for 20 points, while Gavin Tasker has netted five scores and dished out two helpers to total 12 points as the lone other Tufts player to own double digit points.
- Alongside Tufts' 11 scorers on the year, the Jumbos boast a shutdown defense headlined by Calvin Aroh, Jackson Najjar, Sterling Weatherbie and Biagio Paoletta. The backline has registered a 0.51 goals against average on the year (13th in DIII).
- Playing all but 50 minutes in net for Tufts, Conner Mieth (14-0-3) has given up just nine goals while making 44 saves to rank 19th in the country in goals against average (0.52) while owning a .830 save percentage.
- Leading the nation in goals with 27 scores, Joseph Fala has also added seven assists to notch 61 points and rank fourth in Division III with a 2.80 points per game average as the Roadrunners' top offensive threat.
- Trevor Albrecht (3G, 11A), Nick Petrozziello (4G, 2A) and Chris Nash (4G, 2A) are the other Ramapo players that defenses will have to keep an eye on, with the trio each totaling 10-or-more points so far this fall.
- Starting all 22 contests in frame, Joshua Schaffer (17-3-2) owns a 0.97 goals against average and a .819 save percentage after logging 95 stops and eight shut outs on the season.
- Boasting three players who have eclipsed the 30-point mark, Rafael Terci leads a potent MSU offense with 12 scores and a team-high nine assists to total 33 points, while Chaz Burnett has also racked up 33 points behind a squad-leading 14 goals and five helpers.
- Jose Huerta rounds out the offensive trio, netting 13 goals and adding four assists to hit the 30 point mark on the year.
- Starting 21 games in between the pipes for the Red Hawks, Mike Saalfrank (16-1-4) has amassed 79 saves to won a 0.91 goals against average and a 0.814 save percentage in 1788:55 minutes.
TALE OF THE TAPE
|Games / Record||19 / 14-4-1||17 / 14-0-3||22 / 17-3-2||22 / 17-1-4|
|Shots on Goal||173||135||200||250|