AMHERST, Mass. – Claiming the No. 4 seed in the conference, the Amherst College men's soccer team is set to host a NESCAC Championship Quarterfinal matchup for the 13th consecutive season as they welcome No. 5 Bowdoin to Hitchcock Field for a 2:30 p.m. battle this Sunday, Oct. 28.
SETTING THE SCENE
Sunday's Quarterfinal tilt will mark the Mammoths' 18th consecutive NESCAC Championship appearance and eighth matchup against Bowdoin in league postseason play with Amherst owning a 4-2-1 all-time edge.
Looking to reach the league finals for the third time in five seasons and capture the program's sixth NESCAC title, Amherst currently boasts a 10-6 record in quarterfinal play. The Polar Bears own two NESCAC titles, winning them in back-to-back years in 2014 and 2015, and hits the field this weekend seeking its sixth straight trip to the semifinals.
Facing off in Brunswick, Maine on Sept. 8 during the regular season, the Mammoths edged the Polar Bears, 1-0 with a score in the 30th minute.
No. 4 Seed (11-3-1, 6-3-1 NESCAC) – Schedule/Roster/Stats
- With six goals apiece, German Giammattei '22 and Sebastian Derby '21 lead a potent Amherst attack, with Giammattei adding two assists to boast a team-high 14 points.
- Luke Nguyen '19 has also impressed up front, netting five goals and dishing out three helpers for 13 points, while Dane Lind '20 has assisted on a NESCAC-leading 10 scores.
- On the backline, Bryce Johnson '21 and Cutler Coleman '20 have been staples on a stringent defense that has accumulated a 0.72 goals against average.
- In between the pipes, Bernie White '22 (9-1-1) has been stellar for the Mammoths, registering 55 saves en route to owning a .887 save percentage and a .062 goals against average in 11 starts.
- Notching 15 and 14 points, midfielders Moctar Niang and Matty McColl pace Bowdoin's offense, with Niang netting seven scores and adding an assist and McColl logging four goals and six helpers.
- Drake Byrd rounds out Bowdoin's double-digit point getters with five goals and three assists on the season for 13 points.
- Chris Kingston (5-2-2) has logged the majority of minutes in net, boasting a 1.02 goals against average and a .845 save percentage in nine starts for the Polar Bears.
2018 NESCAC CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE
Quarterfinals –October 27 / October 28
No. 6 Williams def. No. 3 Middlebury, 1-0
No. 7 Hamilton at No. 2 Connecticut College - 12:00 p.m.
No. 8 Colby at No. 1 Tufts - 2:30 p.m.
No. 5 Bowdoin at No. 4 Amherst - 2:30 p.m.
Semifinals - Saturday, November 3
Highest Remaining Seed vs. Lowest Remaining Seed - 11 a.m./1:30 p.m.
Other Quarterfinal winners - 11 a.m./1:30 p.m.
Championship - Sunday, November 4
Semifinal winners - 12 p.m.