No. 1 Amherst Tallies Three First Half Goals to Down RIC, 4-1 in Season Opener

No. 1 Amherst Tallies Three First Half Goals to Down RIC, 4-1 in Season Opener

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Opening its 2016 campaign strong, the No. 1 Amherst College men's soccer team tallied three first half goals and added another score in the second to earn a 4-1 victory over Rhode Island College in its season opener Wednesday evening at Alumni Field.

With the win, the Purple & White move to 1-0-0 overall, while the Anchormen fall to 1-2-0 on the year. Amherst returns to the field on Saturday, Sept. 10 when they travel to Bowdoin College for a NESCAC matchup beginning at 12 p.m.

Weller Hlinomaz '18 recorded Amherst's goal of the season 3:45 into the game in impressive fashion, collecting a clear from midfield and volleying a shot from just inside the box into the top left corner of the net without allowing the ball to touch the grass.

The Purple & White doubled their lead at the 28:17 mark in the first half as Bryce Ciambella '17 capitalized on a Cameron Bean '17 clear from deep in Amherst territory and a misstep by the Anchormen goalkeeper as he beat Chris Moura in a foot-race to the ball and juked past him for an easy tap in goal.

Just over a minute later Amherst extended its lead to 3-0 in a tic-tac-toe passing play that saw Forest Sisk '17 send a leading pass to Christopher Martin '17 in the goalie box who one-timed a shot into the netting as he fell to the ground.

Dane Lind '20 tallied the Purple & White's final score of the matchup at the 68:36 mark in the second half, sending a blast from 25 yards out into the bottom left corner of the goal to make it a 4-0 contest.

Amherst outshot RIC 16-14 in the matchup, while the Anchormen held a 6-2 edge in corner kicks. Fikayo Ajayi '19 led the Purple & White in shots on goal with four, while junior Lee Owen (1-0-0) made four saves en route to earning the win in net. Chris Moura (1-2-0) recorded eight saves in the losing effort for RIC.


  • Taking control of the game from the opening horn, Amherst held a 10-3 advantage in shots in the first half in addition to playing shut down defense that saw only one RIC shot hit its target.   
  • Owen registered his first save of the game 7:31 into the first half, getting his hands on a hard shot from the top of the box by RIC's Komla Dogbey and gathering the rebound. 
  • RIC scored their sole goal of the game to make it a 4-1 match with ten minutes to play as Thomas Wampler converted on a penalty kick after an Amherst foul inside the box.