No. 4 Mammoths Take Down No. 14 Franklin & Marshall, 17-9

No. 4 Mammoths Take Down No. 14 Franklin & Marshall, 17-9

OWINGS MILLS, Md. – Deadlocked at 3-3 after 15 minutes of action, the Mammoths kicked it into high gear in the final three quarters as the No. 4 Amherst College men's lacrosse team downed No. 14 Franklin & Marshall, 17-9 Friday evening at the Mustang Classic hosted by Stevenson University.

With the win, Amherst improves to 4-0 on the season, while F&M falls to 4-2 overall. Amherst returns to the field tomorrow, Saturday, March 16 when they battle No. 2 RIT at Mustang Stadium beginning at 4 p.m.

First on the board, the Mammoths tallied back-to-back scores in a 40 second span to take a 2-0 lead at the 13:03 mark as Jon Coffey '20 potted a dish from Jimmy McAfee '21 and Jack Norton '19 converted on a pass from Dylan Peabody '21 while up a man.

Responding with three unanswered goals to take their first and only lead of the contest, A.J. Rigsby kicked off a 3-0 run for the Diplomats with 7:43 on the clock. Tucker McBride added an unassisted score three minutes later before Rigsby potted his second of the day at the 3:59 mark.

Despite being down a player following a Mammoths cross-checking penalty with time winding down in the first quarter, Evan Wolf '19 teamed up with Andrew Ford '19 to tally a man-down score and even things at three all at the end of 15 minutes of play.

Hitting their stride in the second period, the Mammoths shut out the Diplomats while adding six scores to the board to own a 9-3 lead at the half. 

McAfee sparked the 6-0 Amherst run 11 seconds into the stanza as he beat the F&M netminder with an unassisted score before Ford tallied another Amherst goal 23 seconds later. Wolf then needed just 41 seconds to pot back-to-back goals and push the score to 7-3. Jack Wolff '19 made it 8-3 at the 8:20 mark with an assist from Coffey, while Wolf registered his third goal of the period and fourth of the game off of a dish from Colin Minicus '20 with 4:06 on the clock. 

Continuing Amherst's unanswered stretch to start the third, Matt Solberg '20, Wolf and Luke Mallette '20 each found nylon in the opening seven minutes to extend the Mammoths lead to 12-3. 

Breaking through with 7:24 on the clock, Jarrett Donaghy tallied the Diplomats first goal in more than 26 minutes with an unassisted strike that was countered by a Coffey score less than three minutes later.

Making a bid to get back within striking distance, Franklin & Marshall cut the Mammoths lead to six, with a Shane McBride man-up goal and a marker by Rigsby closing out the third and Luke Keating capitalizing on a man-up opportunity 1:07 into the fourth quarter to set the score at 13-7.

That was as close as the Diplomats got however, as Amherst responded with goals by Coffey (2) and Wolf (2) over the next nine minutes to push the score to 17-7. 

Spencer Hall and Rigsby each sent shots over the goal line for the Diplomats in the final two minutes to close out the matchup as the Mammoths handed F&M its second loss of the season, 17-9.


  • In between the pipes, Chad Simons '20 made an impressive 22 saves for Amherst in the winning effort, while Scott Hatch recorded 10 stops for the Diplomats in the loss.
  • Wolf and Coffey headlined the Mammoths' offense with seven and four goals, respectively, while Juan Gonzalez '22 picked up a game-high seven ground balls. Sophomore James Crovatto led all players in caused turnovers with three.
  • With four goals, Rigsby led the F&M attack, while Daniel Zlevor and Ellis Llewellyn each corralled four ground balls.
  • At the face off dot, Gonzalez went 15-23 for Amherst, while Daniel Zlevor finished 8-15 for the Diplomats.
  • F&M held the advantage in shots, 49-39, while the Mammoths owned the edge in ground balls, 50-35.
  • Up a man, Amherst went 1-for-2, while the Diplomats finished 3-for-8.