AMHERST, Mass. – Advancing to the third round of the 2018 NCAA Division III Championship, the fourth-ranked Amherst College men's lacrosse team is set to host second-ranked York College this Saturday, May 12 at 4 p.m. at Pratt Field at Lehrman Stadium with a spot in the national quarterfinals on the line.
Saturday's matchup will mark the first meeting between the sides in program history.
4:00 p.m. – Amherst vs. York – Webcast / Live Stats
ROAD TO THE THIRD ROUND
- After earning an at-large bid to the national postseason and first round bye, the Mammoths advanced past the second round with a dominant 24-7 win over Keene State.
- Also securing an at-large bid and first round bye to start NCAA play, the Spartans earned the right to play Amherst with a 15-7 victory against Western New England in second round action.
SCOUTING NO. 4 AMHERST
(15-3 Overall) – Schedule / Roster / Stats
Returning to the NCAA Championships for the fifth straight year, and sixth time overall, the Mammoths enter third round play with a 9-5 all-time record in the national postseason.
- Jon Coffey '20 and Evan Wolf '19 have both surpassed the 50-goal mark this spring, with Coffey leading Amherst with 56 markers and Wolf netting 53 scores on the season. With 46 helpers, Colin Minicus '20 leads the team in assists and total points (89), while Matt Solberg '20 has tallied 41 goals and 29 assists for 70 points.
- Dylan Finazzo '20 has gone 336-for-489 (68.7%) at the X as Amherst's faceoff specialist en route to picking up a squad-high 148 ground balls, while Tamer Sullivan '21 has posted 24 caused turnovers as a leader on defense.
- In between the pipes, Chad Simons '20 (9-2) has started 10 games for the Mammoths, making 132 saves to boast a 11.97 goals against average and a 52.0 save percentage in 611:23, while Cameron Mitchell '21 (3-1) has notched 63 stops in 334:35 to tout a 11.66GAA.
SCOUTING NO. 2 YORK
(18-2 Overall) – Schedule / Roster / Stats
Owning a 5-3 all-time record in NCAA Championship play, the Spartans are making their third straight appearance in the national postseason and fourth appearance overall (2014, 2016-18).
- Leading the Spartans in goals (49), assists (33), and points (82), Thomas Pfeiffer headlines York's offensive attack, while Hunter Davis (41G, 17A), Jake Hvazda (33G, 22A), Matt Witcher (31G, 13A) and Dillon Hannah (30G, 11A) have all eclipsed the 30-goal mark this season.
- At the face off dot, Billy Sasso has gone 209-for-326 (64.1%) and picked up a team-high 104 ground balls, while J.D. Beck leads the Spartans in caused turnovers with 27.
- Starting all 20 contests in net for the Spartans, Landry Marshall (18-2) has racked up 124 stops to own a 6.01 goals against average and a 53.4 save percentage.
BY THE NUMBERS
|NO. 4 AMHERST||NO. 2 YORK|
|Goals Per Game||19.33||15.30|
|Goals Against Avg.||11.72||6.35|
|Shots on Goal %||60.5%||64.3%|
|Faceoff %||67.2% (415-618)||63.3% (309-488)|
|Clear %||91.9% (285-310)||89.5% (348-389)|