No. 10 Men's Lacrosse Never Trails in 19-13 Upset of No. 2 Denison

No. 10 Men's Lacrosse Never Trails in 19-13 Upset of No. 2 Denison

Head Coach Jon Thompson Post Game Interview

Owings Mills, Md. – Holding the Big Red to just 13 goals, the Mammoths never trailed in the contest and exploded for six markers in the fourth period as the No. 10 Amherst College men's lacrosse team upset No. 2 Denison, 19-13 Friday evening at Mustang Stadium.

With the win, Amherst improves to 4-0 on the season, while Denison falls to 5-1 on the year. Amherst returns to the field tomorrow, Saturday, March 17 when they battle top-ranked RIT beginning at 3 p.m.

Starting off with a bang, the Mammoths opened the first period with five consecutive goals to leap out to a 5-0 lead. Striking at the 10:40 mark, Max Keeley '18 started of the Amherst run with an assist from Brogan Mahon '19, before Jon Coffey '20 and Brett Inglesby '18 both beat the Big Red netminder in a 15 second span. 

Colin Minicus '20 registered his second assist of the matchup on a dish to Logan Lair '20 at the 5:29 mark, while Matt Solberg '20 capped off the run with a player-up score with 4:26 on the clock.

Denison countered with four unanswered scores, with Owen Armstrong potting a marker with 1:20 to play in the first quarter and Peter Pittroff tallying a goal in the final seconds of the first stanza and two more to start the second to cut the Mammoths lead to 5-4.

The two sides traded momentum through a thrilling second period, with Mahon, Minicus, Connor Sheehan '18 and Jack Norton '19 netting four consecutive markers, before Jake Waxter, Happ and Pittroff each found nylon to push the score to 9-7 with 5:11 remaining before intermission. 

Amherst out scored the Big Red 2-1 down the stretch, with Evan Wolf '19 assisting on goals by Coffey and Inglesby at the 4:19 and 1:09 marks, respectively, and Spencer Butler sending a shot over the goal line for Denison as the Mammoths entered halftime owning a 11-8 advantage.

Denison logged the first two goals of the second half, with Spencer Butler potting a score on a dish from Brooks Davy at the 12:29 mark before Davy notched a score of his own with 10:58 on the clock to bring the Big Red within one, 11-10. 

Solberg responded with an unassisted goal at the 8:20 mark, before Davy and Jimmy McAfee '20 traded markers to set the score at 13-11 heading into the final 15 minutes of regulation.

A statement fourth quarter propelled the Mammoths to victory, with Amherst outscoring Denison 6-2 to clinch the 19-13 upset win.

Coffey, Norton and McAfee tallied three consecutive goals to begin the period, before Sam Asman and Butler netted back-to-back scores to pull the Big Red within three. Closing out the battle strong, Wolf registered the final three markers of the contest to lift the Mammoths to the six-goal win.


  • In goal, Gib Versfeld '21 (3-0) recorded three saves in 43:35 in the winning effort, while Cameron Mitchell made one stop in the final 16:25 in relief. Reeves McKenney (0-1) took the loss for Denison, making three stops in the first 30 minutes of play, while Stephen Paras racked up five saves for the Big Red in relief.
  • Dylan Finazzo '20 led a dominant Amherst performance at the face off dot, going 21-for-34, while Drew Kelleher '18 went 2-for-2.
  • Both sides committed 19 turnovers, while the Mammoths owned a 54-38 edge in ground ball pick ups.
  • Amherst went 15-for-17 on clear opportunities and 1-for-2 while up a player, while Denison converted on 16 of 24 clears and finished 3-for-5 with a Mammoth in the penalty area.