AMHERST, Mass. -- The No. 10 Amherst College men's lacrosse team is set for one of the biggest weekends of the season, as the Mammoths will face off against the two top-ranked teams in Division III as part of the annual Mustang Classic hosted by Stevenson University.
"This weekend will be a real test of where we stand right now as a team. It's an early season challenge that I'm excited to see us rise to. I'm less concerned about the ranking of our opponents, although they are both substantial opponents, versus how we compete on both nights," commented Amherst head coach Jon Thompson. "The Mustang Classic has clearly become the premier event in Division III on an annual basis. Stevenson University and Inside Lacrosse put on a fantastic event, and we feel fortunate to be a part of it. The opponents are world class, and the media coverage is fantastic. It really is going to be a fun weekend. I hope like heck we just play as fast as we possibly can, while not hurrying. If we do that, and we compete our tails off – I'll be a happy man."
- Friday, March 16 vs. No. 2 Denison - 5:30 p.m. - Live Stats / Webcast
- Saturday, March 17 vs. No. 1 RIT - 3 p.m. - Live Stats / Webcast
- The Mammoths enter the weekend on a three game win streak, battling past Colby (22-7), Western New England (19-10) and Bowdoin (16-15) to open the season.
- Reigning NESCAC Player of the Week Colin Minicus '20, Evan Wolf '19 and Matt Solberg '20 lead the Amherst offense, with all three players boasting double digit point totals. An offensive catalyst, Minicus has netted 15 markers and dished out eight assists for 23 points, while Wolf (9G, 2A) and Solberg (5G, 5A) have tallied 11 and 10 points, respectively.
- Dylan Finazzo '20 has been stellar at the face off dot, going 49-for-80 (61.3%), while first-year duo Cameron Mitchell (1-0) and Gib Versfeld (2-0) have both seen significant minutes in between the pipes. Mitchell owns a 10.27 GAA and a 54.2 save percentage in 128:34, while Versfeld has recorded a 12.26 GAA and a 33.3 save percentage in 48:57.
- The Big Red head to Maryland looking to capture their sixth win of 2018, with Denison owning victories over Washington & Lee (12-10), Stevenson (11-10), Roanoke (11-10), Albion (18-1) and DePauw (16-2).
- With 29 points on the year behind a 10 goal, 19 assist effort, Peter Pittroff heads the Big Red's offense. Spencer Butler and Jake Waxter join Pittroff as scoring threats up front, with Butler netting 13 markers and four helpers (17 points) and Waxter finding nylon 11 times and assisting on four goals to total 15 points.
- In goal, Cole Poyfair owns a 6.95 GAA and a 48.4 save percentage in five starts for Denison, while Henry DeCamp has gone 67-98 (68.4%) at the face off dot.
- RIT has opened the season on a 4-0 run, powering past Ohio Wesleyan (12-7), Bates (9-7), Springfield (23-7) and Clarkson (18-7).
- Kyle Killen headlines RIT's five double-digit point getter so far this season, potting 14 markers and logging two assists for 16 points. Shawn Nally and Aidan Milburn are also set to keep defenses on alert with Nally registering 15 points (7G, 8A) and Milburn notching seven goal and seven helpers for 14 total points.
- Walker Hare (4-0) has started every game this season for the Tigers in goal, owning a 5.54 GAA and a 71.0 save percentage in 195:00 played.
BY THE NUMBERS
|No. 10 Amherst||No. 2 Denison||No. 1 RIT|
|Shots on Goal %||57.6%||56.9%||68.1%|
|Goals Against Average||10.67||6.60||7.00|