No. 7 Jeffs Hold Off Late Rally, Down Conn. College, 13-10

No. 7 Jeffs Hold Off Late Rally, Down Conn. College, 13-10

AMHERST, Mass. – The seventh-ranked Amherst College men's lacrosse team held a 9-4 lead at halftime and held off a late rush by Connecticut College to secure a 13-10 victory over the Camels in Tuesday evening's NESCAC tilt at Gooding Field.

With the win, Amherst improves to 11-1 on the season, 6-1 in league play, while Conn. College moves to 2-10 overall, 0-7 in NESCAC action.

In the opening quarter, Conn. College broke out to an early 2-0 lead behind goals by Briggs Barton and Tuck Mscisz. With 10 minutes to play in the stanza, Kane Haffey '16 found Matt Killian '17 who fired it into the back of the net to start a stretch of three straight scores by Amherst. Quinn Moroney '16 added a goal at the 7:16 mark, and then assisted on Dylan Park's '16 marker with 2:40 to play in the first to give the Jeffs a 3-2 edge after one period.

Moroney found Park once more just 1:56 into the second stanza, and Park then assisted Chris Albanese '17 with 10:26 on the clock to give Amherst a 5-2 lead. The Camels halted the run when Max Luing scored following a feed from Ross Thompson, but it was only temporary as the Purple & White registered three straight goals in a span of 4:03. Haffey fired in a pass from Moroney and Rob Butko '16 took advantage of a dish from Albanese to set the score at 7-3. Moroney then picked up his fourth helper of the contest as Haffey delivered his second goal of the game to make it 8-3 with 4:13 to play in the first half.

Conn. College responded with an unassisted goal by John Cunningham, but Haffey extended the Amherst lead back to five goals when he registered his third goal of the frame after receiving a pass from Eric Grein '15 to make it 9-4 at intermission.

The third quarter saw both sides net a pair of goals as Luing scored on a feed from Thompson to get the scoring started for the Camels at the 10:35 mark. Michael Litner '16 laced a shot into the nylon off a nice dish by Albanese, who then scored following an assist by Connor Crump '16 to set the score at 11-5 in favor of the Jeffs with 6:55 to play in the third. A Barton score with just 20 seconds remaining pulled the Camels back to within five (11-6) after 45 minutes of action.

In the fourth quarter, Conn. College struck for three consecutive goals, including two with a man-advantage as Thompson found Max King for two strikes, and then fed Luing for a goal to pull the Camels to within two at 11-9 with 10:31 to play in regulation. An unassisted goal by Moroney with 8:19 to play extended the lead back to three, before King notched his third goal of the session on a pass from Barton with the man-advantage to set the score at 12-10 with just 3:25 to play.

Purple & White goalie Cody Tranbarger '17, who made seven of his 16 saves in the last 15 minutes, helped stave off the Camels' attack and that's as close as Conn. College could get as Park fired in a goal with 1:04 remaining to set the final score at 13-10.   

Moroney finished with a pair of goals and four assists, Park and Haffey each tallied three goals and an assist to lead the Jeffs' offensive efforts.

Matt Virgilio '15 led the defensive unit with five groundballs and caused four turnovers, while Ryan Cassidy '16 and Carl Lampe '15 caused three each. Tranbarger, and Butko picked up four groundballs each in the win, while Moroney, Crump and Cassidy each added three pickups.

Bobby Bleistein suffered the loss for Conn. College between the pipes, making 14 saves in the effort. Ben Parens was 22-for-27 on faceoffs and picked up 20 groundballs, while Jake Bank notched five.

Amherst is back in action Saturday, April 11 when it travels to NESCAC rival Colby College for a 1 p.m. contest.