AMHERST, Mass. – Finishing the regular season with a 7-8-3 conference mark to sit in a three-way tie in the league standings, the Amherst College men's ice hockey team captured the seventh seed in the 2020 NESCAC Championship and is gearing up to travel to second-seeded Trinity College for a quarterfinal bout in a rematch of last winter's Finals matchup.
The puck drops at the Koeppel Community Sports Center this Saturday, Feb. 29 at 1:00PM.
Saturday's NESCAC Quarterfinal will feature live stats and a webcast broadcasted by the Northeast Sports Network (NSN).
SETTING THE SCENE
A rematch of last season's Championship Final, Amherst will make the trip to Hartford, Conn. looking to avenge an overtime loss that saw the Bantams score with .01 seconds remaining.
This winter, the sides split their regular season series, with Trinity getting the win in the second game of the year, 2-1, on Nov. 22 at Orr Rink before the Mammoths responded with a 2-1 victory of their own on Jan. 31 on the Bantam's home ice.
The Bantams own a 4-1 advantage in the NESCAC Championship series between the teams and is in search of the program's sixth NESCAC title after claiming the league crown in three of the last four seasons (2019, 2017, 2016), while Amherst aims to add its fourth conference title to the record books after last lifting the trophy in 2015.
No. 7 Seed (9-11-4, 7-8-3 NESCAC) – Schedule / Roster / Stats
Owning a 19-17 all-time ledger in the NESCAC tournament, Amherst heads into the postseason with the nation's top-ranked penalty kill and ranking 14th overall in scoring defense.
- One of six Amherst double-digit point getters, junior forward Nick Bondra headlines the Amherst offense with a team-leading 15 points behind a Mammoths' best 13 assists and two scores. Pieter von Steinbergs '21 has also proved to be a playmaker for the Purple & White, netting four goals and dishing out 10 helpers for 14 points.
- Patrick Daly '20 (8G-5A), Joey Lupo '20 (6G-7A), P.J. Conlon '20 (5G-8A), and Sean Wrenn '22 (4G-9A) have each posted 13 points so far this winter.
- Giancarlo Ventre '20 (6-9-2) has played the majority of minutes in between the pipes for the Mammoths, logging 440 saves in 17 starts to accumulate a .921 save percentage and a 2.34 goals against average. Dan Dachille '23 (3-2-2) has seen action in eight contests, notching 188 stops in 478:32 minutes to boast a .931 save percentage and a 1.76 GAA.
SCOUTING TRINITY COLLEGE
No. 2 Seed (17-6-1, 12-5-1 NESCAC) – Schedule / Roster / Stats
Hosting a quarterfinal contest for the eighth straight year and making their 20th overall appearance in the conference postseason, the Bantams hit the ice ranking inside the top-15 in Division III in penalty kill percentage (third), power play percentage (14th), scoring defense (5th) and scoring margin (12th).
- Leading the Trinity attack, Barclay Gammill has totaled 32 points so far this season behind the strength of 18 goals and 14 assists, while Lucas Michaud has dished out a team-high 24 helpers and added seven scores to total 31 points.
- 12 total players have hit double-digit points for Trinity, with Cole Poliziani (9G-9A-18P), Timothy Weinstein (0G-18A-18P), Michael Grande (5G-12A-17P), and Liam Feeney (1G-14A-15P) each meeting the 15-point threshold.
- Tedy Loughborough (9-3-1) and Jonah Capriotti (7-3-0) have split time in frame for the Bantams, with Loughborough racking up 327 saves in 13 starts to own a .932 save percentage and a 1.94 GAA and Capriotti stopping 239 shots in 11 starts to boast a .930 save percentage and a 1.71 goals against average.
BY THE NUMBERS
|NO. 7 MAMMOTHS||NO. 2
|GAMES / RECORD||24 / 9-11-4||24 / 17-6-1|
|GOALS AGAINST AVG.||2.21||1.87|
|POWER PLAY %||6.6% (6-91)||24.3% (25-103)|
|PENALTY KILL %||93.6% (88-94)||91.8% (90-98)|
|PENALTIES / GAME||4.6||5.2|
|SOG / GAME||35.3||38.1|
2020 NESCAC MEN'S HOCKEY CHAMPIONSHIP SCHEDULE
Quarterfinals - Saturday, February 29
No. 7 Amherst at No. 2 Trinity - 1:00PM
No. 8 Connecticut College at No. 1 Williams - 3:00PM
No. 6 Bowdoin at No. 3 Hamilton - 4:00PM
No. 5 Wesleyan at No. 4 Middlebury - 4:00PM