Posted: Jan 26, 2016
AMHERST, Mass. – The Amherst College men's ice hockey team used two third period goals by Phil Johansson '19 to down Assumption College, 4-2, in Tuesday evenings non-conference matchup at Orr Rink.
- Amherst and Assumption went shot-for-shot in a scoreless first stanza, with the Purple & White holding a slight 15-11 edge in shots on frame.
- The Greyhounds were first on the scoreboard, with Kevin Murphy redirecting the shot from Alex Erban from the right face off dot past Girard.
- Just over two minutes later, Amherst struck back to even the score at 1-1. Positioning himself on far post, Thomas Lindstrom '18 corralled a rebound off the pad of the Greyhound net minder and sent a one-timer into a wide open net. Topher Flanagan '16 and Kevin Ryder '16 were credited with the assists on the play.
- Assumption's Dante Tomassini made it a 2-1 game with 3:31 to play in the second period, finding the rebound and blasting a slap shot from just inside the right point into the netting.
- Johansson made it a 2-2 contest 3:14 into the final period. In an unassisted play, Johansson stopped a clearing attempt by the Greyhound defense and rifled a wrist shot from the right point into the goal.
- The game winning goal came 10 minutes later with Johansson once again finding the back of the net from a shot from the point.
- Austin Ho '17 delivered the game's final blow, sending a wrist shot from the right point through traffic into the net to give Amherst a 4-2 lead.
- Amherst held a decisive 48-25 advantage in shots on goal.
- Connor Girard '18 made 23 saves in the winning effort, while Chris Hemhauser racked up a impressive 44 saves in the loss.
- The Greyhounds travel to Southern New Hampshire University for a 6:30 p.m. tilt on Jan. 30.
- Amherst travels to Middletown, Conn. for a NESCAC matchup with Little Three Rival Wesleyan University on Saturday, Jan. 30 starting at 7 p.m.