BABSON PARK, Mass. – The No. 11/12 Amherst College men's ice hockey team scored three straight goals in the third period to answer a three-goal second period by Salem State University, but it was not enough as the Purple & White fell to the Vikings, 5-4 in Sunday afternoon's thrilling consolation contest of the Babson/Salem State Tournament in Babson Park, Mass.
Salem State (8-4-0)
- In the first period, Amherst drew first blood as Topher Flanagan '16 netted his third goal of the season following assists from Kevin Ryder '16 and Conor Brown '16 at the 10:05 mark to give the Purple & White a 1-0 lead.
- In the second stanza, Salem State struck back as Cam Moniz netted the unassisted equalizer at the 4:57 mark to make it 1-1. The score was his seventh goal of the campaign.
- Midway through the second frame, the Vikings forged ahead when Michael Chen lit the lamp following feeds from Casey Miller and Ryan Wilkinson to make it 2-1.
- Salem State increased its lead to 3-1 at the 16:50 mark as Chen notched his second goal of the game, and fifth of the season following another helper from Miller.
- Less than three minutes into the third frame, Xavier Louis Reed '16 netted his second goal of the season following a dish from Patrick Arena '16 to make it 3-2.
- The Purple & White then evened the contest at 3-3 at the 6:26 mark after Phil Johansson '19 deposited a Jack Fitzgerald '19 pass into the back of the cage for his fourth goal of the season.
- At the 11:08 mark, Amherst regained the lead when Flanagan collected his second goal of the game, and fourth of the season to give the visitors a 4-3 edge. The score came on the power play as David White '18 and Tyler Granara '18 provided the helpers on the score.
- The lead was short-lived as Michael Casale answered for the Vikings just 29 seconds later following a feed from Andrew Buco to force another stalemate at 4-4.
- Salem State then capitalized on a power play opportunity when Derek Makimaa scored at the 13:12 mark to make it 5-4 in favor of the Vikings. Daniel Campbell notched the assist on the goal which proved to be the game-winner.
- Connor Girard (0-3-0) made 29 saves in the losing effort for Amherst, while Marcus Zelzer (5-1-0) turned away 27 shots to preserve the victory.
- The Vikings held a slim, 34-31 advantage in shots on goal and finished 1-for-4 on the power play. The Purple & White were 1-for-3 with the man-advantage.
- Amherst returns to the ice Friday, January 8 for a NESCAC matchup at Bowdoin College. Puck drop is set for 7 p.m. in New Brunswick, Maine.
- Salem State is back in action Saturday, January 9 when it hosts Westfield State University at 2 p.m. at Rockett Ice Arena.