AMHERST, Mass. – Amherst College junior Chris Roll scored the game-winning goal with 1:15 left in regulation to lift the sixth/seventh-ranked Purple & White to a hard-fought, 4-3 non-conference victory over St. Michael's College Tuesday afternoon at Orr Rink.
St. Michael's (1-7-0)
- Amherst lit the lamp early in the first period when Xavier Louis Reed '16 netted his first collegiate goal at the 2:24 mark following passes from John Festa '19 and Roll.
- The Purple & White, who outshout St. Michael's, 10-8 in the first 20 minutes, carried the one-goal cushion into the second period. The Purple Knights evened the contest at 6:02 mark when Shawn Morrow scored his second goal of the season, following assists by Connor Irving and Sam Finkelstein to make it 1-1.
- Late in the second, St. Michael's took the lead when Anthony Maiuri fired a shot that was saved by Amherst goalie Adam Ellison '17, but the rebound came back to Mairuri who deposited it into the back of the net giving the Purple Knights a 2-1 advantage at the 17:24 mark.
- Less than a minute later, Amherst responded when Thomas Lindstrom '18 won a faceoff in the offensive zone and sent the puck to Jack Fitzgerald '19 who laced a shot from the left point past goalie Michael Comitini to set the score at 2-2 with 1:52 to play in the second stanza. The goal was his first collegiate tally.
- St. Michael's, which went on the power play with five seconds remaining in the second period, carried the man-advantage into the third frame. Just as the power play was killed off by the Amherst defense, Brodie McCusker sniped in an unassisted goal to put the visitors back in the lead (3-2) just 1:56 into the period.
- Despite pressure from the St. Michael's attack, the Purple & White found another equalizer at the 12:57 mark when Topher Flanagan '16 found the back of the net with a nicely timed wrist shot. Tyler Granara '18 and David White '18 provided the helpers on the scoring play.
- The Purple Knights continued to battle for another go-ahead goal, but Ellison was able to fend off shots from Morrow and McCusker before Roll came through with his late score for Amherst which was assisted by Max Roche '19 and Patrick Arena '16.
- With an empty net and an extra attacker on the ice for the final 1:02, St. Michael's had a pair of good looks from Caleb Lothian and Sam D'Antuono, but Ellison made a pair of stops, and the Purple & White defense made two critical blocks to seal the win.
- Patrick Mooney '18 and Lindstrom led Amherst with five shots on goal, while Roll, White, Fitzgerald, and Conor Brown '16 added three each. Fitzgerald and Phil Johansson '19 also hit the pipe in the winning effort.
- St. Michael's was led by Morrow who finished with six shots on target, while D'Antuono, Eric Salzillo, and Nic Hermary added four each.
- Ellison earned his first career win in goal, making 29 saves, including 14 in the third period. Comitini finished with nine saves in each of the first two frames and totaled 24 saves in the losing effort.
- Amherst returns to action Saturday, Nov. 28 when it travels to Elmira for a 3 p.m. game. The matchup is the first on the road for the Purple & White this season.
- St. Michael's returns to the ice Tuesday, Dec. 1 when it hosts Franklin Pierce at 7 p.m.