BRUNSWICK, Maine - Michael Riopel '18 led five Amherst players in double figures as the Mammoths men's basketball won a 75-60 contest at Bowdoin on Saturday afternoon.
With the win, their third straight, Amherst improves to 12-6 (4-2 NESCAC) while Bowdoin falls to 14-5 (3-3 NESCAC).
- Amherst came out firing, taking an early 12-3 lead thanks to three-pointers from Grant Robinson '21 and Riopel.
- The visitors led by as many as 15 points in the opening stanza before Bowdoin started chipping away at the lead.
- Bowdoin rolled off a 16-6 run, sparked by a David Reynolds three-pointer, to trim the Amherst lead to 32-27 with five minutes left in the period.
- The Mammoths carried a 39-32 lead into halftime.
- Bowdoin immediately cut the lead to four points, 39-35, on a Liam Farley three-pointer to start the second half.
- That would be as close as the Polar Bears would get however, as Amherst pushed the lead back to double digits.
- Johnny McCarthy '18 scored 11 points in the second half as the Mammoths led by as many as 18 points in the closing moments.
By The Numbers
- Amherst finished at 50.8% shooting for the game and held Bowdoin to just 38.3% shooting from the field.
- Riopel had a game-high 18 points while Johnny McCarthy had 17 points and 11 rebounds for the Mammoths.
- Robinson (14), junior Joseph Schneider (10) and first year Fru Che (10) also saw double figures for Amherst.
- Liam Farley led Bowdoin in scoring for the second straight day, scoring 13 points. David Reynolds had 11 for Bowdoin while Hugh O'Neil had nine points and eight rebounds.
- Amherst owned a 42-29 advantage in rebounding and scored 16 second-chance points.
- Bowdoin heads to Middlebury next Friday at 7:00 p.m.
- Amherst will host Rhode Island College on Tuesday night at 7:00 p.m.