CLINTON, N.Y. – No. 8 Amherst College men's basketball had four starters score in double figures, led by a game-high 30-point effort from Jayde Dawson '18 as the Purple & White secured an 86-75 victory over Hamilton College Saturday afternoon in Clinton, N.Y.
With the win, Amherst concludes its regular season 17-6 overall, 7-3 in league action. Hamilton moves to 15-8 overall, 4-6 in conference play.
Following a back-and-forth start to the contest, Jacob Nabatoff '17 canned a trey at the 13:35 mark to give Amherst an 18-16 lead. The Purple & White later extended their advantage to eight when Michael Riopel '18 swished a triple at the 10:30 mark before Hamilton answered with a 6-2 run to pull to within four (29-25) following a Kena Gilmour jumper at the 8:11 mark.
Back-to-back treys by Jeff Racy '17 and Dawson helped Amherst run its lead to 10, before a strike from long distance by Tim Doyle with 3:13 on the clock pulled Hamilton to within five at 39-34. Riopel then delivered a three-pointer with 1:40 remaining and converted a pair of free throws with 28 ticks on the clock to help the Purple & White stake a 44-36 lead at halftime.
In the second half, Michael Grassey nailed a trey to start the scoring for Hamilton, but a pair of David George '17 foul shots, and a swish from beyond-the-arc by Dawson gave Amherst a 49-39 advantage with 18:03 to play in the contest.
Trailing 62-49 following back-to-back makes from three-point range by Dawson and McCarthy, the Continentals rallied with a 7-0 run as Gimour made a pair of baskets, while Peter Hoffmann converted a three-point play to make it 62-56 with 11:15 to play.
From there, Amherst was able to maintain a double-digit cushion for the remainder of the contest as Dawson drained three more triples, and was 4-for-4 from the foul line to help the Purple & White clinch the 86-75 victory.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Dawson scored 30 points on 8-of-16 shooting from the field, including a 6-for-8 effort from three-point range, and a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line. He added five rebounds and three assists, while Riopel finished with 18 points (three treys).
- Johnny McCarthy '18 added 13 points and game-high 10 rebounds, while David George '17 added 10 points and grabbed nine boards in the winning effort.
- Off the bench Reid Berman '17 dished out four assists, while Eric Conklin '17 scored six points.
- Hamilton was led by Hoffmann who scored 26 points and collected a team-best six rebounds. Gilmour and Glassey provided 15 and 10 points respectively off the bench, while Grassey also pulled in six rebounds along with Carlos Fineman.
- Jack Dwyer finished with six points and six assists in the losing effort for the Continentals.