Mammoths Score 34 Unanswered Points to Defeat Colby, 40-7

Mammoths Score 34 Unanswered Points to Defeat Colby, 40-7

WATERVILLE, Maine – The Mammoths defense dominated from start to finish, holding the Mules to 114 yards of total offense, and impressive special teams play contributed two touchdowns in a 21 point third quarter, as the Amherst College football team posted a 40-7 victory over Colby College Saturday afternoon at Harold Alfond Stadium.

With the win, Amherst improves to 4-1 on the season, while Colby falls to 0-5 overall. Amherst returns to action on Saturday, Oct. 21 when they battle Little Three rival Wesleyan on Homecoming weekend. Kickoff is slated for 1 p.m.

The Mammoths claimed an early lead on their first drive of the game, marching 74 yards down field in 12 plays to set up a 32 yard John Rak '19 field goal and take a 3-0 edge. Two passes of over 20 yards highlighted the scoring drive, with Ollie Eberth '20 connecting with Bo Berluti '19 for a 21 yard gain on a third-and-one, and lofting a 27 yard pass to Harry Boeschenstein '20.

Doubling their lead on the first play of the second quarter, Rak converted on his second field goal of the contest, sending a 27 yard attempt through the uprights to set the score at 6-0 in favor of the Mammoths.

Giving Amherst a 13 point cushion heading into halftime, Reece Foy '18 teamed up with James O'Regan '20 for a 22 yard touchdown. With no receivers open downfield, Foy bought an extra six seconds by rolling to his right before finding O'Regan near the right sideline of the end zone who came up with a terrific catch and was just able to keep his feet in bounds.

Recording 21 points in the third quarter, Amherst took a 34-0 advantage behind the strength of two special teams touchdowns.

Blocking a punt at the Colby 16 yard line and scooping up the ball with 8:13 on the clock, Tristan Andrzejewski '21 notched an 11 yard return on the play to cross the goal line and Rak drilled the PAT to add seven points to the board.

Striking once again just over five minute later, Eberth capped of a 2:22, 86 yard drive by finding Craig Carmilani '18 in the back right corner of the end zone for a 28 yard score. Jack Hickey '19 and Hasani Figueroa '18 both had big plays to help move the chains on the drive, with Hickey bringing in a 27 yard pass and Figueroa powering forward for a 16 yard gain on the ground.

Nate Tyrell '19 made the second big special teams play of the quarter for Amherst  at the 2:03 mark after the Mammoths defense stood strong to force a three and out. Corralling a 35 yard punt at the Amherst 47 yard line, Tyrell broke two tackles to earn space down the left sideline and sped past the last remaining defenders to post a 53 yard touchdown return and set the score at 34-0 heading into the final quarter.

Responding on their next possession, the Mules tallied their lone points of the day following an eight play, 62 yard drive. Taking the snap at the Amherst 14 yard line, Jack O'Brien hurled a pass to Jibri Woods on the left sideline to move the score to 34-7 and help the home team avoid the shut out.  

Directing the Mammoths to the 40-7 victory, Joe Kelly '21 logged the final score of the game with 35 seconds remaining in regulation as he intercepted a pass at the line of scrimmage and returned the ball for five yard a touchdown. Amherst took a knee on the ensuing two point conversion attempt as the clock wound down to zero to seal the Mammoth win.


  • Eberth finished 6-for-11 for 114 yards, while Foy went 2-for-4 and racked up 82 yards.
  • Figueroa ran for 40 yards on eight attempts, while Hickey added 24 yards on the ground on six rushes and 38 yards on two catches.
  • With five tackles, including three solo, Rak lead the Mammoths' defense while Andrew Yamin '19 tallied 1.5 tackles for loss.
  • Jack O'Brien went 12-for-23 for 92 yards through the air, while Christian Sparacio led the Mules with two catches for 27 yards. Jake Schwern's 20 yards on the ground constituted a team high.
  • Chase Goode posted a Colby-high five tackles, while Sebastien Philemon and Nick Strand recorded four tackles each. Ian Dickey had the Mules' lone interception, while Harrison Vedrani added a pass breakup.