BRUNSWICK, Maine – Amherst College starting quarterback Alex Berluti '17 threw for 187 yards and a pair of touchdowns to help lift the Purple & White to a 31-10 victory over Bowdoin College in Saturday afternoon's NESCAC tilt at Whittier Field in Brunswick, Maine.
With the win, Amherst improves to 2-0 on the season and extends its winning streak to a program-record 21 games dating back to the 2013 campaign. The Purple & White are now winners of 11 straight games against Bowdoin (0-2) since 2006, and stand at 75-17-2 against the Polar Bears since the series began in 1896. Amherst is back in action next Saturday, Oct. 8 at Middlebury College (2-0). Kickoff is slated for 1:30 p.m. at Alumni Stadium in Middlebury, Vt.
After exchanging possessions to start the first quarter Bowdoin got the ball deep in its own territory. On a second and 19 play from its own 12-yard line, Polar Bears' quarterback Noah Nelson heaved a deep pass down the sideline that was picked off by Amherst's John Rak '19 at the Bowdoin 45 yard-line setting up the Purple & White's second drive of the game.
Alex Berluti found his brother Bo Berluti '19 for a nine-yard gain on first and 10, and Jack Hickey '19 rushed for 13 yards on second down. After a 22-yard touchdown pass to Hickey was called back following an illegal block, Amherst found the end zone for the first time on an eight-yard pass from A. Berluti to Devin Boehm '17 to give the Purple & White a 7-0 lead. Amherst doubled its lead with 53 seconds remaining in the opening quarter when A. Berluti found B. Berluti for a 29-yard touchdown pass to give the visitors a 14-0 lead.
Early in the second quarter, Amherst drove deep into Bowdoin territory before A. Berluti had a pass intercepted on second and 10 from the Polar Bears' 21-yard line. Henry Little picked off the attempt and raced 40 yards to the Amherst 30-yard line. Bowdoin then orchestrated a six-play, 21-yard drive that resulted in a 25-yard field goal by Andrew Sisti that set the score at 14-3 with 6:27 remaining in the first half. Both teams exchanged punts on their next two possessions before Rak booted a 20-yard field goal as time expired in the second quarter to give the Purple & White a 17-3 lead at intermission.
Amherst extended its lead to 24-3 with 5:45 on the clock in the third quarter with a two-play, 50-yard drive that saw backup quarterback Nick Morales '19 hit Boehm for an 11-yard pass, before connecting with B. Berluti for a 39-yard scoring strike.
The Purple & White tacked on seven more points on a 2-yard rush by Hickey as the visitors opened up a 31-3 lead early in the fourth quarter.
Bowdoin capped the scoring in the contest on the ensuing possession when Nelson hit Nick Vailas for a nine-yard touchdown to set the final score at 31-10.
- Alex Berluti finished 20-of-26 for 187 yards, two touchdowns and an interception, while Morales was 7-of-10 for 102 yards and a touchdown.
- Hickey racked up 63 yards rushing on 12 carries and a score, while Raheem Jackson '17 added 43 yards on nine carries.
- Bo Berluti made a pair of touchdown grabs, while Boehm added a touchdown reception of his own.
- Rak led Amherst's defensive efforts with seven tackles (4 solo; 3 assists), while Andrew Yamin '19 added five tackles (2 solo; 3 assists). Jack Barrett '19 added a sack and forced a fumble, while Niyi Odewade '17 and Markel Thomas '18 each notched a sack.
- Bowdoin's Nelson was 15-for-31 for 123 yards with a touchdown and an interception, while Nate Richam legged out 19 yards on 16 attempts on the ground. Vailas hauled in four passes and registered 48 yards with a score to lead the Polar Bears' receivers.