PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – Two runs in the final three innings by the Knights proved too much to overcome for the Purple & White, as the Amherst College baseball team fell to Arcadia, 4-2 Thursday afternoon in Port Charlotte, Fla.
- Each team posted a run in the first and traded scores in the fourth and fifth inning to head into the ladder portion of the game in a 2-2 tie. Arcadia tacked on a run in both the seventh and eighth inning while holding the Purple & White scoreless to claim the 4-2 victory.
- Max Steinhorn '18 went 2-for-4 at the plate with a run and a RBI to lead the Amherst offense, while Harry Roberson '18 finished 3-for-4 at the dish with a double.
- Recording the Purple & White's first RBI on the day was Anthony Spina '17 as he singled through the left side in the bottom of the first to plate Steinhorn.
- Andrew Sholz (2-0) earned the win for Arcadia, striking out four and allowing one hit in 2.0 innings, while Chris Keeser secured his third save of the year for the Knights.
- Earning the start, Davis Brown '19 tossed 5.0 innings, allowing five hits and one earned run and striking out two in the no decision. Chris Baldi '17 pitched 1.0 inning in relief, while Mike Dow '19 (0-1) took the loss, allowing one run behind two hits in 1.0 innings. Zach Horwitz '20 closed out the game, allowing one run and two hits in 2.0 innings on the mound.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Arcadia edged Amherst in hits, 12-9.
- Both teams stranded six runners on base in the matchup.
- The Purple & White pitching staff combined for 12 hits, one walk and three strikeouts and allowed three earned runs, while the Knights' staff struck out eight, walked one and gave up two earned runs.
- Amherst returns to action on Saturday, March 18 when they face No. 21 Marietta starting at 10 a.m.