PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – The Purple & White rallied from a four-run deficit to even the score, however a run by the River Hawks in the bottom of the ninth proved to be the difference maker as the Amherst College baseball fell to Susquehanna University, 6-5 Wednesday afternoon in Port Charlotte, Fla.
With the loss, Amherst falls to 1-3 on the season.
- Down 4-0 entering the top of the seventh, Amherst rallied to plate four runs and set the score at 4-4. Susquehanna regained the lead in the bottom of the inning to go up by a run, however the Purple & White once again knotted the game in the top of the ninth. The River Hawks secured the win with one out in the bottom of the ninth, as Roumes scored on a fielder's choice to lift Susquehanna to the 6-5 win.
- Amherst out hit Susquehanna, 15-6 and stranded 13 runners on base in the outing.
- Anthony Spina '17 led the Purple & White offense, going a perfect 4-for-4 at the dish with a run, while Yanni Thanopoulos '17 notched a team high two RBI behind a 3-for-5 performance at the plate.
- Ariel Kenney '18, Nick Nardone '19 and Ryan Hardin '18 each logged a RBI apiece, while Zach Horwitz '20 and Severino Tocci '20 both recorded steals in the contest.
- Starting for the River Hawks, Bobby Klatt pitched 6.2 innings, whiffing five and allowing one run, while Cory Fallon (1-0) closed the game to earn the win, tossing 1.2 innings, striking out three and giving up one run on three hits.
- Getting the start on the mound, Sam Schneider '18 allowed two runs and one hit in 5.0 innings. Entering in relief, Andrew Ferrero '19 tossed 1.0 inning, giving up two hits and a run, while George Long '17 (0-1) took the loss, throwing 2.1 innings, striking out three and allowing one earned run.
- Amherst returns to the field tomorrow, Thursday, March 16 when they face Arcadia. First pitch is set for 10 a.m.