PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. – The Amherst College baseball team continued its Spring Break trip in Port Charlotte, Fla. Monday, falling to Ohio Wesleyan, 14-11 before dropping its second contest of the day to Denison, 12-2.
With the losses, Amherst's overall ledger moves to 1-2.
OHIO WESLEYAN HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 11, Ohio Wesleyan 14
- The contest started off as a back-and-forth battle between the sides before a big seven-run sixth inning by the Battling Bishops broke the game open. Amherst pushed for a comeback in its final half inning, plating three runs, but the bid came up just short as Ohio Wesleyan secured the 14-11 win.
- Anthony Spina '17 and Nick Nardone '17 led Amherst in the batter's box, with both players' notching four hits. Spina finished 4-for-6 with an RBI, while Nardone went a perfect 4-for-4 with a run.
- Leading the team in runs scored, Harry Roberson '18 went 3-for-5 at the plate with three runs and an RBI, while Zach Horwitz '20, Yanni Thanopoulos '17 and Will Murphy '20 each finished with two hits to round out the Purple & White's multi-hit getters.
- Amherst out hit the Battling Bishops, 20-11 and stranded 13 runners on base.
- Wilson Taylor '19 (0-1) pitched 5.1 innings for Amherst in the losing effort, whiffing seven and allowing five earned runs on six hits.
DENISON HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 2, Denison 12
- Amherst runs came in the second and the ninth, with the Purple & White crossing home once in each inning.
- Denison edged the Purple & White 11-8 in hits, while Amherst committed three errors to the Big Red's two.
- Roberson and Spina led the Amherst offense, with each batter finishing 2-for-4, while Severino Tocci '20 tallied the team's lone RBI on the contest.
- Davis Brown (0-1) took the loss for Amherst, striking out one and allowing six earned runs in 2.2 innings. Mike Dow '19, Andrew Ferrero '19 and Horwitz also saw time on the mound; highlighted by Ferrero's four strike outs in 2.0 innings.
- Amherst returns to action on Wednesday, March 15 when they take on Susquehanna at 2 p.m.