FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Amherst College baseball team began its 2016 Spring Break Trip to Fort Myers, Fla. with a 13-4 victory over North Park, and a pair of wins over Plymouth State (7-2 and 3-2) on Saturday and Sunday, March 12-13.
With the three wins, Amherst begins its 2016 campaign, 3-0 overall. Amherst played North Park on Saturday, and played its twinbill with Plymouth State on Sunday.
NORTH PARK GAME HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 13, North Park 4
- Amherst plated four runs in the top of the second and five in the top of the ninth, and pounded out 18 hits to help lift the Purple & White to victory.
- Yanni Thanopoulos '17 was 5-for-6 with four RBI, while Max Steinhorn '18, Sam Ellinwood '18, and Ariel Kenney '18 each collected three hits in the winning effort. Thanopoulos and Ellinwood each added a double, while Steinhorn and Kenney each drew a pair of walks.
- On the hill, Jackson Volle '17 pitched 6.0 innings, allowing one run on three hits with seven strikeouts. Zach Brown '18 added four strikeouts in 1.1 innings of relief, while Mike Castigle '17 fanned a pair of batters in 1.2 frames of work.
PLYMOUTH STATE GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 7, Plymouth State 2
- With the score tied at 1-1 after four innings, Amherst posted two runs in the fifth, sixth and seventh innings to run away with a 7-2 victory.
- Thanopoulos and Kenney each drove in a pair of runs, while Thanopoulos and Anthony Spina '17 notched the Purple & White's only multi-hit games with two hits each. Thanopoulos highlighted the effort at the dish with a double and a triple, while Conner Gunn '16 also legged out a two-bagger.
- Keenan Szulik '16 pitched the first four innings and struck out three batters, allowing just one run on three hits. Sam Schneider '18 dealt three innings in relief to pick up the save. He allowed one run on four hits and struck out five.
PLYMOUTH STATE GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 3, Plymouth State 2
- After an RBI single in the top of the first gave Plymouth State an early, 1-0 advantage, Amherst answered in the home half of the frame when Joe Feldman cracked a two-run double to give the Purple & White a 2-1 lead.
- Amherst added what proved to be the winning run in the bottom of the second when Spina scored on an outfield miscue to give the Purple & White a 3-1 edge.
- Plymouth State got one back in the top of the seventh with a home run, but it was too little too late as Chris Baldi '17 picked up the save and secure the win.
- Wilson Taylor '19 pitched the first four innings to earn the win, striking out four batters, while George Long '17 pitched a pair of scoreless frames in reserve.