FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Amherst College baseball team claimed two more wins, defeating Salem State and Bethel, to move to 6-1 on the season with three games remaining during their Spring Break trip.
SALEM STATE GAME HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 3, Salem State 1
- Amherst tallied two runs in the fifth inning to take a 2-1 lead, and added an insurance run in the eighth, to secure a 3-1 victory over the Vikings.
- With runners on second and third with two outs in the top of the fifth, Max Steinhorn '18 came up big for the Purple & White, notching a single and his only hit of the game to drive in two runs and put Amherst up 2-1. Sam Ellinwood '18 and Ariel Kenney '18 both went 2-for-4 in the matchup, including a double each.
- Jackson Volle '17 (2-0) allowed just three hits and struck out five batters in 8.0 innings pitched to earn his second victory of the season. Adam Pinto '16 entered the game in a relief effort in the ninth and did not allow a hit to earn the save for the Purple & White.
BETHEL GAME HIGHLIGHTS: Amherst 7, Bethel 6 (11 innings)
- The Purple & White combined for 16 hits and drove in two runs in the 11th inning to claim a 7-6 victory over the Royals.
- Amherst used six pitchers to earn the win, with Zach Brown '18 getting the start on the mound and allowing six hits and striking out two in 4.0 innings, and Mike Castiglie '17 earning the victory after entering the game in the bottom of the 11th.
- Yanni Thanopoulos '17 and Conner Gunn '16 led the Amherst offensive, with each student-athlete finishing the game 3-for-5 and with one RBI.
- The Purple & White will take on Edgewood and Western Conn. State in a double header on March 19 before finishing their Spring Break trip with a game versus Augustana on March 20.